Monday, July 25, 2011

The 10-Minute Rule

By Ken Scherpelz, Vice President of Sales and Business Development

Parents are making their voices heard regarding the amount of homework their children are bringing home each day. Many school officials are starting to listen. How much is too much? A Duke University psychology professor says students should have 10 minutes of homework each evening for each grade they are in school. So a fifth grader would have 50 minutes of homework a night.

As I helped my own three kids do their homework (and lots if it, at times) I saw examples of worthless, time-consuming assignments as well as assignments that really got my kids thinking and motivated. The good homework helped extend the instructional day (a topic for another time) and kept me informed as to what my kids were studying in school.

Publishers need to be sure the homework components of their programs are succinct, focused, and motivating. The professionals at PSG can help create just such components.

No comments:

Post a Comment