Thursday, March 1, 2012

EBooks in Libraries

By Hilary Kody, Intern, Spring 2012

Like any good publishing student and intern, I am a big fan of books. I enjoy reading something substantial, physically flipping pages, using bookmarks. Naturally, I was a little wary of eBooks and eReaders. But last semester, when I found myself attempting to stuff another book into my already full backpack, I decided I would give eBooks a try. And just as I have transitioned to eBooks and eReaders, libraries across the country are also seizing the opportunity to expand their electronic materials.
In 2010, the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) found that two- and four-year postsecondary institutions have increased their level of eBooks and electronic references sources. At the time of the survey, academic libraries possessed 158.7 million eBooks and 1.8 million electronic sources. 
Molly Raphael, president of the American Library Association, says that libraries are facing a number of challenges including changing technology, adequacy of financial resources, and shifting demographics.  Libraries need to adapt services to meet community demand and remain central to people’s lives. This, Raphael says, means adjusting to technology and knowing your audience. For example, middle class communities are more likely to have a high demand for eBooks because more people have eReaders. In lower income communities, people are likely to use library computers to access Internet resources.
Similar challenges are facing primary and secondary libraries as well. While many academic centers would like to make the transition to eBook readers to replace costly and heavy printed texts, they face a number of challenges. Primarily, many texts traditionally included in curriculum are not available electronically. Fahrenheit 451 was only recently released for eBooks, while fairly standard readings such as To Kill a Mockingbird and Catcher in the Rye remain unavailable in digital formats. However, many textbooks and other nonfiction materials are available in eBook format. Despite the challenges, it seems that in all levels of education, electronic resources are becoming increasingly popular.
This semester, I have replaced a number of my textbooks with eBooks. With all my reading materials conveniently condensed into one device, my backpack is much lighter. Do you find yourself caught in this changing market? Looking to cater your material to students like me? PSG can help prepare your content for electronic delivery in eBooks or online. Contact us for a quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment