Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Employee Spotlight: Meet Eileen


by Eileen Neary, Assistant Project Manager

My parents knew even when I was young that my career path would go one of two ways: either I'd be working with the environment or with the English language. But I only ever seriously considered one route (unless you count my proclamation at age eight that I'd be a famous dog groomer, or at ten that I'd be the next Mia Hamm).
Despite receiving an environment award in kindergarten, participating in environmental clubs throughout my years of education and earning a minor in science at Emerson College, it never crossed my mind to choose a career path related to the outdoors. I had an even greater calling.
I wrote my debut young adult (YA) novel in high school, in between assisting with the recycling program and volunteering to pick up trash along school property on "Green-Up Days." Unfortunately, my roller coaster ride to publication ended abruptly (the agent went with The Hunger Games instead), though it did make for an exciting college application essay and solidified my passion for language.
At Emerson College’s Writing, Literature & Publishing program, I began further refining my writing in various workshops in addition to taking copyediting and literature courses. I was soon able to read my writing in published form in a wide variety of magazines and journals (some of which even paid me!). Then, during my senior year, I completed a fulfilling internship at Publishing Solutions Group and realized I truly did choose the right career direction. My internship at PSG afforded me the opportunity to thrive as part of a team, assist on live projects, practice my proofreading and even aid in the marketing process. Best of all, I was surrounded by language, literature and learning all day, every day.
After my internship at PSG, I received my bachelor of fine arts from Emerson and transitioned into freelance content writing, marketing and blogging about public transit and the housing market. My father, the founder and CEO of a solar products store, did his best to persuade me to enter the solar business. But while I enjoyed the work, the remote aspect didn't suit me, and it was only a matter of time before I returned to the site of my former internship in the fall of 2013 as an assistant project manager.
The transition from intern to assistant project manager was very smooth despite the time lapse between positions; with additional training, I was able to draw upon my experiences as an intern and freelancer, and apply them in new ways to assist the project managers directly.
As an assistant project manager, I have enjoyed learning the ropes of bringing complex educational publishing products to fruition, supporting the PSG project managers on jobs geared toward English-language learners, online assessment, elementary-school science programs (my personal favorite) and so much more. As I gain experience in freelancer and client communication, managing budgets, and tracking resources, I look forward more and more to the day I am managing my own small projects as a junior project manager.
Little-Known Facts About Eileen
Eileen spends most of her time at home in scenic Windham, New Hampshire (when she’s not sitting for sessions on her full-sleeve tattoo). On a daily basis, her backyard is a stage for animals such as turkeys, deer, groundhogs, foxes and rabbits, just to name a few. Needless to say, a porcupine sitting on the front steps when she needs to get to the car more than satiates her need for the wilderness!

No comments:

Post a Comment