Monday, November 13, 2017

Slaying Dragons on the Weekends: Why Dungeons & Dragons is More Than Just a Game


by Bridget Marturano
Fall 2017 Intern


I’ve always been a fairly geeky person, so when I started playing Dungeons and Dragons (also known as D&D) it was no surprise that I immediately fell in love with it. For those who don’t know, D&D is a tabletop roleplaying game that uses polyhedral dice to determine the outcome of in-game events in a fantasy world controlled by the Dungeon Master (DM). Each player creates a unique character and acts out the role of that character throughout the course of the game.

I love D&D so much because, unlike with traditional forms of storytelling, I get to directly participate and help create the story with a group of friends for several hours every week. My particular group of adventurers consists of my human wizard, a half-elf ranger, an elven cleric, and a few others. We’ve spent countless evenings together in taverns, hatched and raised a baby dragon, slain powerful evil entities, and even brought a fallen comrade back to life.

While it’s fun to pick up something like The Lord of the Rings and read about a group of heroes going on a grand quest, it’s even more fun to experience such an adventure firsthand.

No comments:

Post a Comment