Monday, November 7, 2011

Kindling a Flame for Reading?

By Ken Scherpelz, Vice President of Sales and Business Development

Electronic books are a hot topics these days, with owners of e-books like the Amazon’s Kindle and Barnes and Noble’s Nook claiming they’re reading more because of the ease with which they can purchase and read books.

Many who read the New York Times article left comments, with some interesting points being made. Many loved it, claiming they now read more books each month than they did before using the electronic device. A second group said the electronic readers were OK, but with technical limitations like not being able to read the text in strong light (like at the beach) or not being able to make notes in the margin. Many “old-school” folks claimed they still like the look, feel, and smell of the paper and ink and binding of a printed book and said they would not give in to the hype of the “gadgets.”

I have a feeling we’ll be seeing more and more of these devices appearing in public, especially after the holidays. There is a movement to provide college students with electronic textbooks, cutting down on costs and weight of the traditional books. And that’s a good thing.

I’m old school about books, even if I do have several gadgets. (English majors are like that.) I like my basement bookshelves that hold much of what I’ve read in my adult life. They are in some way a measure of my journey through good literature, cheap “whodunits”, and an occasional non-fiction piece or two. But at the same time I have to admit I marvel at how we’ve been able to give old works a new “stage.”

PSG can help you prepare your content for electronic delivery on e-books or online. Give us a call and we can give you a quote (either in print or electronically).

No comments:

Post a Comment