Friday, April 4, 2014

Intern Spotlight: Meet Liz

Liz Canon, Spring 2014 Intern

I developed my love of literature when I was a teenager in high school. I found my English classes exciting because they were the only classes, besides my history classes, that I found remotely interesting. While most of my classmates dreaded analyzing dialogue and writing papers on The Scarlet Letter or Death of A Salesman, I wished that I could spend my whole day in English class pretending I was a character in a Dickens novel.

When I started attending Wheelock College, I was torn between wanting to teach and wanting to study literature. Thankfully, I was able to major in Literature and minor in Elementary Education, being able to experience the best of both worlds. Fast-forward to graduation, and I was ready to find a job as a teacher. I found one as a preschool teacher at a local daycare. While the kids were great, I soon realized that teaching at that level just wasn’t for me. In between applying for graduate school programs and trying to find another job, I ran across an ad for a company called Publishing Solutions Group that was looking for interns.

After reading PSG’s mission statement and seeing that it is a “full-service educational development company” I applied for the internship, excited to be able to intern in an environment that would allow me to gain experience in using both my educational and editorial skills.

I have been at PSG for two months now and can honestly say that my time here as an intern has been great. I have had the opportunity to write blogs on current and interesting topics, study copyediting techniques, and much more. I am looking forward to using these skills in future. I will be attending graduate school in the fall, where I hope to focus on learning more about literature and publishing—and hopefully to find a position in the publishing industry or higher education.

No comments:

Post a Comment